When Valentine’s Day comes around, it is the perfect opportunity to do something sweet and thoughtful for your boyfriend to show him how much you care about him. It’s a day to spend quality time together in a romantic way so that you can rekindle your love and express the passion in your relationship.
Sometimes buying gifts for him can be difficult, as there are so many different types of gifts to choose from and you want to make sure that you choose something truly special. Here are a few important dos and don’ts that you can follow when you are buying valentine gifts for him on this romantic day.
- Don’t give him anything that implies that you want him to improve in some way, such as a gym membership or a book of tips on how to be more romantic. Although you might have the best intentions, he might interpret this gift as you sending him the message that you are not happy with him and this could really hurt his feelings.
- Do buy valentine gifts for him which are related to his interests. If he loves computer games, get him the newest release or if he loves football buy him tickets to a match. Think about what he enjoys in his spare time to give you some ideas.
- Don’t put a lot of pressure on him by telling him that you expect the perfect gift in return. This only makes you seem like you are greedy and selfish and it will make gift-buying difficult and awkward for him.
- Do think about giving him an experience that you can enjoy together. For example, you could take him on a weekend getaway somewhere or arrange a special trip or tour like kayaking or hiking. Think about your boyfriend’s hobbies and interests and you can probably find something which will be sure to delight him.
- Don’t just stick to the cliché gifts, such as flowers, chocolate and teddy bears. They have already been done so many times and they don’t really show that you have been that thoughtful or creative.
- Do treat him to his favourite drink on Valentine’s Day, whether it is a glass of red wine or a tumbler of fine Scotch Whiskey. It’s a special occasion and so a nice drink will really set the mood.
- Do buy him clothes, but make sure that they are clothes that he likes and that fit with his personal style. Dressing him up in clothes that you like will not be a very thoughtful gift and although he will wear the item a few times to please you, it will soon be lost in the back of his closet forever.
- Don’t give him boxers and socks! These are boring gifts, not very romantic and it will make him feel like you are his mother. He’s a grown up and if he needs new boxers and socks he will buy them for himself.
- Do treat him to an indulgence that he wouldn’t usually buy for himself, such as a nicer bottle of whiskey, some finer chocolates or a higher quality cut of steak. He will really appreciate the treat.
- Don’t assume that he cares as much about Valentine’s Day as you do. Most women make a bigger deal about this holiday than their male counterparts and if your boyfriend is not that excited about the occasion this doesn’t mean that he doesn’t love you. Make sure you have an open discussion about your plans for Valentine’s Day in order to reach a happy compromise.
- Do give him something thoughtful that shows you care. It doesn’t have to be expensive or extravagant, but it should be thoughtful and totally personalised to what he likes. Take the time to really think about him as a person to determine a gift which will be really well suited to his hobbies and passions.
These are just a few dos and don’ts to keep in mind when you are buying valentine gifts for him this Feb 14th. With a little planning and thoughtfulness you will be able to create the perfect Valentine’s Day for you both to enjoy.